Thursday, July 29, 2010

When in doubt, say something



I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that I'm 26 years old. To be honest, sometimes I feel like I'm 15 and other times I feel like I'm 35. But I do think that 26 is a significant year, because it means that you are officially closer to the age 30 than you are to age 20. Real life issues are starting to kick in ~ more so than they did when you were closer to 20 and making a transition from college life to the working world.

As we get older we are faced with situations that never crossed our minds when we were teenagers and twenty-somethings. We lose family pets. Grandparents pass away. We realize that our parents are only human, and that they cannot always be there to make everything better. We cross the line from being our parents' children to our parents caretakers. It's times like these that our busy carefree world comes to a screeching halt, and we ask ourselves how on EARTH are we going to get through these tough times??

I have been very lucky to have not been faced with tremendous losses yet in my life, but I've had my share of tough times in which I felt scared, alone, and immobilized ~ despite the incredible strength and support of my family. One lesson that I have learned through times such as these is that support from friends can lift you up in ways you never could have imagined.

Here's the thing ~ real life issues such as death, sickness, or otherwise new and uncomfortable realities of life are difficult for everyone. But they are particularly difficult for twenty-somethings, as we have had little experience with how to handle them ourselves, let alone when it comes to consoling someone we care about.

I think a real rule of thumb should be that when you are in doubt, say something. It doesn't have to be some grand gesture, if you don't want it to be. It can literally be a three-word text or email. Just to let the person know that you are thinking of them.

Thinking of you during this difficult time.
Just wanted to let you know that I love you.
Sending you hugs.


I wholeheartedly feel that the smallest amount of effort gives tremendous comfort and leaves a long-lasting impression upon those who need it most. So next time you hear about a friend or colleague who's going through a hard time, I say acknowledge them in whatever way you deem appropriate. Karma will undoubtedly pay you back one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment