Monday, August 2, 2010

lezioni



Last week was one of those nutzo weeks during which I felt like I had to utilize every last second in order to get things done. I worked late on Tuesday and then realized I had nothing fresh in my fridge for dinner, so I made a beeline for T-Joes. After racing around the store picking up flowers, produce and pretty much whatever flashed in front of my eyes, I made it to the check out stand in less than 18 minutes (which is very impressive for those of you who have never gone grocery shopping with me).





Racing home, I made two trips from my car to the elevator, parked my car, took the elevator up to my apartment, dragged everything into my kitchen, unloaded my groceries, arranged my flowers, and finally took the things I wanted to cook for dinner out on the counter.






I stood there furiously chopping my kale and tomatoes, when suddenly I was like - HOLD ON, SISTER!!!















Why are you still insisting on this insanely rushed behavior? I could almost hear the screeching sounds that the Roadrunner makes when he comes across one of Wile E. Coyote's traps... Stop right there in your tracks, Allie Phelps!





I love to cook! I would so much rather cook myself dinner than order in or microwave a frozen dinner. I asked myself why I was speeding through the process ~ just so I could plunk myself down on the couch to catch up on The Real Housewives of New Jersey? Silly me!


It was definitely a mini wake-up of sorts. Sure, there are times when we need to rush about getting as much done as we can in order to carve out some time for ourselves. But cooking dinner should be the perfect way to relax and wind down after a hectic day. I took a deep breath, retrieved and put on an awesome CD that my friend Mike made for me, and slowed myself down to enjoy my time in the kitchen. Then, when I eventually made it to the couch to enjoy my dinner, I made sure to thoroughly enjoy each bite I took, after bidding myself a little BUON APETITO!

No comments:

Post a Comment