Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Seeing Green

















I've been making more of an effort to eat more veggies and less meat. This is pretty ridiculous, but it only recently occurred to me that not every meal needed to include a protein - and I've been having fun playing around with vegetarian options as a result.

I went a little NUTZOOOOOOOO on the sugar last week, and I think my skin is acting out as a result. Therefore I am attempting to 'detox' from both real and fake sugar as much as I can, for as long as I can this week. I have made it two days with one slip - a glass of my 'liquid crack' tonight at dinner, which is a secret concoction that I will have to let you in on in a later post. I've also been going heavy on the green foods - as I know they are packed with vitamins and minerals and are terrific, all-natural tools to help cleanse out your system. (Ewe, sorry, but it's the truth!)

Tonight I wanted to share a recipe I threw together the other night - and all of the ingredients (minus the dressing) were coincidentally green! I've been playing with names, and so far the only one I've got is

THE QUEEN GREEN SALAD. Yes, I believe this one shall do.




For the salad:
~ 1 or 1/2 firm yet yielding avocado (honestly, finding them when they are juuust perfect is an art form)
~ 1/4 english or lemon cucumber
~ 1-2 small Green Zebra tomatoes (my newest OB.SES.SION - I discovered them in my Aunt Laurie's garden in Denver a few weeks ago - they are a little big sour and DEMAND a very gentle dusting of sea salt. Sweeter tomato-likers should find a normal green Heirloom tomato)
~ 1 handful of snap peas

For the dressing:
* This is an adaptation from the amazing salad dressings that I've seen my mom put together over the years. I enjoy a very vinegary, mustard-spicy dressing - much like the dijon mustard dressings found on simple French greens. If you want to take out the pucker a bit, add some sugar, or go easy on the vinegar. Have fun playing around with the ingredients! That's how I came about my fave!

~ 1 rounded spoonful of dijon mustard (the spiciest one I've found is from Trader Joes - and it's like $1.50!! A steal!
~ 2 T Champagne vinegar
~ 1 - 1/2 T GOOD Olive Oil - preferable something you'd use as a dipping oil, versus a cooking oil
~ Freshly ground pepper and Sea salt to taste.


Optional Add in's:
~ 2 t lemon juice - this really gets the salivary glands going
~ 1 t lemon zest - pumps up the lemon flavor (there is much more flavor found in the rind, versus the juice, and it's oil so it blends well with the Olive Oil
~ 1 t super finely chopped Scallions, or Shallots - best if you can let them sit in the champagne vinegar for an hour or two to soften



Dice up all of the lovely green veggies into diced pieces that are similar in bite size. Shake up the dressing in a closed tupperware container, or whisk it in a bowl. Drizzle very lightly over the veggies - you can always add more, but you can't take it back!

And voila! The perfect, healthy meal or side dish, that's fun to eat and easy on the eyes too!

Long live the QUEEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment