Monday, February 13, 2012

Rainbow Chard Nested Eggs

My new car ( her name is Edgie, and she is CHERRY RED! ) came equipped with Sirius radio.  Well I'm sure you'd be shocked to learn that my favorite stations are Martha Stewart Radio, Oprah Radio, 60's on 6, and 90's on 9.  I now find myself nodding along in deep concentration, speaking directly to Oprah and Martha with such reactions as "INTERESTING!", "oh, really?", "no way...", "great idea!.  Cause that's normal.


Anyways, my favorite segment on MSR is Living Radio and the other day they were discussing the procedure for cooking eggs on the stovetop by way of nesting them in sauteed greens.  So I tried it out yesterday and the end result was absolutely delicious!

I washed a bunch of rainbow chard, and finely diced the stems.  I minced half a shallot (it was really big, so if it's a small one you can add the entire thing), and thinly sliced the leaves of the chard.

Then I heated a medium saute pan over medium-high heat and added about 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 teaspoons of kosher salt.  Once the oil was hot I added the stems and shallots, and then allowed them to soften.

Next  I added the leaves of the chard plus a generous splash of white wine and a tablespoon of water.

Once the leaves were saturated, I divided the mass in half and created the small nests, leaving a small amount of chard at the base of the nest (so the egg wouldn't directly touch the pan).  I lowered the heat to medium-low.  It's really important that the chard is hot and the heat is evenly distributed, or the eggs wont cook on the stovetop.

I cracked one egg into each nest, as you can see below.


I felt like the eggs were not cooking through evenly, so I covered the pan with a glass bowl to allow some heat to cook the top of the egg.


As soon as the yolk took on a softer yellow I immediately pulled it off of the stove.  You want the yolk to remain soft and runny.


Finally, I finished it with a drizzle of good olive oil, salt and lemon pepper.


How gorgeous is that?  It was so tasty and healthy.  I will absolutely be cooking this again - maybe with some fresh mushrooms or diced tomatoes.

"Thanks, Martha!"


No comments:

Post a Comment