Sunday, February 19, 2012

Meatless vegetable smorgasbord

Who says a hearty dish has to include meat?  

When I moved into my own apartment and started cooking for just me, I challenged myself to start cooking meals which made vegetables the primary focus.  This somewhat haphazard dish came about because I happened to have a fridge full of fresh vegetables from the farmers market - all of which were threatening to start going downhill.  So I threw them all into my giant pot at different stages, steamed some cauliflower and the final result was absolutely delicious - and I didn't miss the meat for one second.


Heat a Tablespoon or so of olive oil, and add a Tablespoon of salt over medium heat.  When the oil shimmers, add chard stems (save the leaves to add later on), leeks, green pepper, and banana peppers.

Once the vegetables have softened, add the chard leaves.

Stir until the leaves have wilted.  Next add a 28 once can of whole or diced tomatoes, 1/2 cup of dry wine, plus 1 Tablespoon sweet smoked Pimenton (Spanish smoked paprika) and/or a Tablespoon of freshly toasted and ground Cumin. 

Next add shredded or chopped mushrooms.  These are white trumpets, and I highly recommend using them in lieu of meat, as they absorb the sauce and take on a rubbery meat-like texture.  

Allow the mixture to simmer for 20 minutes or so, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed.

Break up a head of cauliflower and steam the clusters for 5 minutes or until they soften to your liking.



Pre-sauced cauliflower: I recommend substituting any steamed or lightly sauteed vegetables instead of pasta .  If you are really craving some delicious pasta, choose whole wheat.  Fusilli would be a good shape for this dish.

The finished product! 
I hope you will consider eliminating meat from your dinners at least once a week.  We actually consume way more protein than we really need.  Yes protein's great and delicious, but like anything, it should be consumed in moderation (and if at all possible, choose organic and grass fed).  So go out and have fun trying out new vegetables!

1 comment: