Tuesday, December 21, 2010

zucchini bread - from grater to gift

A few weeks ago, I attempted my very first loaf of zucchini bread (thank you cousin Molly for sending me this recipe originating from our grandpa's sister Mary!) Strangely enough, I do not own a grater (last minute gift idea?!), so I used my mandolin instead. The mandolin worked well, however there are so many components to the contraption that clean up was an arduous task. Therefore, I'll stick to a grater next time. This recipe makes enough for 2 loafs of bread - and I decided to make 1 loaf and 12 muffins. I am happy to say that both turned out beautifully! Just make sure you keep an eye on the muffins, as they will cook much faster than the batter in the loaf pan.

My family was headed to a party in a couple of days, so I decided to wrap the loaf in parchment paper and fasten it with baker's twine for a hostess gift. After the recipe, you can see the step by step process that went into wrapping the loaf. IMPORTANT LESSON LEARNED - tape does not stick to parchment paper! Therefore it was a bit trickier to secure the wrapping - but once you maneuver the twine and paper in such a way that all flaps are fastened tightly, the twine should hold just fine.

INGREDIENTS
-3 eggs, well beaten
-2 cups sugar
-1 Tablespoon vanilla
-2/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
-3 cups flour
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1 teaspoon baking power
-1 teaspoon salt
-1 Tablespoon cinnamon
-1 cup nuts (optional)
-2 cups shredded zucchini, not peeled (Molly says: i sometimes add a little more if there is extra, up to 2.5 cups)

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Mix together eggs, sugar, vanilla and oil.
2. Sift together dry ingredients and add to first mixture.
3. Add nuts, if using, and zucchini.
4. Bake in well greased (Molly says: i use butter) loaf pans.
5. Fill 1/2 full. *It's very important that you NOT overfill your pans!
6. Bake at 350 degrees 1 hour or less depending on size of loaf pan using.
7. Let stand 15 minutes before removing from pans.

Happy baking and gifting, everyone!










No comments:

Post a Comment