Thursday, October 20, 2011

PEPPER: It DOES matter if it's black or white

Until recently, I was under the impression that black pepper was stronger than white pepper.  I was once told that black pepper is simply aged black pepper.  I asked my chef instructor if I had my facts straight and it turns out I was completely wrong!


It turns out a white peppercorn is actually a black peppercorn with the hull removed - therefore a white peppercorn is stronger.  I was still confused so I pressed on and he encouraged me to think about it from a yield standpoint.  When a black peppercorn is ground - think about all the extra matter that comes along with the hull.  Including the hull in this grind dilutes the strength of the pepper.  When a white peppercorn is ground there is no hull to decrease the strength, therefore what you get is 100% spice. 

Therefore, you should always keep in mind that white pepper is much stronger than black pepper.  When should you choose between the two?  A good rule of thumb is to use a smaller amount of white pepper in dishes that are lighter in color, such as mashed potatoes and clam chowder, so your finished product remains uniformly light in color.  You will impress your guests with a perfectly seasoned dish that lacks visible evidence of the spices you used in its preparation.

Look at me, peppering you with knowledge on this otherwise ordinary Thursday afternoon!


No comments:

Post a Comment